Adviceline Physio Job Spec COPD August 2021
Location: All staff are currently working remotely due to Government COVID-19 guidance but thereafter will be required to work in Leopardstown (COPD Support Ireland Head Office)
Hours: Part Time 10 hours per week
Salary: Available on request.
Closing Date: 10th September 2021
The Adviceline Physiotherapist will possess a degree in Physiotherapy, be registered with CORU and will have a minimum of two years in respiratory clinical practice; ideally in a Respiratory MDT setting such as COPD outreach, integrated care or pulmonary rehabilitation. They will also have at least two years of experience in chronic disease management. The COPD Adviceline is funded by the HSE and operated by the Asthma Society of Ireland with the assistance of COPD Support Ireland. The COPD Adviceline Physiotherapist will be jointly responsible for the COPD Adviceline service provision and development with the COPD Adviceline Clinical Nurse Specialist and will be based in COPD Support Ireland as an employee of the Asthma Society of Ireland.
The function of the Adviceline Physiotherapist is to provide evidence-based, disease specific advice and information to individuals and/or carers of people with COPD. This service is provided to adults and carers of those living with COPD.
OVERALL OBJECTIVES OF THE SERVICE
- To provide easily accessible support, education and information to people with COPD to help them to better understand and manage their disease.
- To improve the quality of life of people living with COPD through empowerment, support, disease specific education and self-management education.
- To empower people to self-manage their COPD and to self-advocate in their interactions with healthcare professionals and services.
- To sign-post and connect people with appropriate local services, resources, and materials such as local support groups, exercise programmes, living well programmes, smoking cessation services and mental health resources.
- To encourage people to look after their general health and well-being by encouraging smoking cessation, physical activity, promoting vaccinations and self-management strategies.
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
a) Be registered on the Physiotherapists Register maintained by the Physiotherapists Registration Board at CORU.
Practitioners must confirm annual registration with CORU to the ASI by way of the annual Patient Safety Assurance Certificate (PSAC)
Have at least 5 years post-qualification experience, with a minimum of two years in respiratory clinical practice. You will also have at least two years’ experience in chronic disease management.
Demonstrate evidence of continuous professional development.
b) Possess the requisite knowledge and ability, including a high standard of clinical, managerial, and administrative capacity, to properly discharge the functions of the role.
Post Specific Requirements
- An in-depth knowledge of the role of the Senior Physiotherapist within chronic respiratory disease management
- In-depth knowledge of the pathophysiology of COPD.
- The ability to undertake a comprehensive assessment of the patient with COPD including taking an accurate history of their respiratory condition and presenting problems.
- The ability to formulate a plan of care.
- In-depth knowledge of the HSE patient support tools developed by NCP Respiratory for COPD.
- Experience and interest in promoting and teaching COPD Self-management strategies .
- Excellent presentation and interpersonal communication skills.
- An active interest in creating a strong patient relationship using the Adviceline as an interventional tool to support COPD management.
- Experience of working within a Respiratory multidisciplinary team, ideally with some experience in Pulmonary Rehabilitation.
- A motivated self-starter comfortable with decision making and seeing opportunities to drive and grow the service.
- Must be computer literate – Word, Excel, Power Point and ideally familiar with CRM reporting systems. The service is delivered utilizing Salesforce, and training will be provided in how to use this system.