Using this method, you breathe out for twice as long as you breathe in. You should practice this method several times a day so it becomes natural to you when you are breathless.
- Breathe in slowly. This should be a normal breath. Inhale through your nose, with your mouth closed. As you inhale, count 1, 2.
- Purse your lips in a whistling position. This is pursed lips.
- Breathe out slowly. Exhale for twice as long as you inhaled. As you exhale count 1, 2, 3, 4
- Relax and keep breathing steady.
- Repeat these steps until you no longer feel breathless. If you get dizzy, rest for a few breaths and then begin again.